To help you stay safe during this Holiday Season, we are offering a few simple phrases to help you avoid common holiday fire hazards. Holiday Lighting 1. Inspect lighting for worn insulation or loose light bulbs 2. Turn the lights off before leaving the house or going to bed 3. Don’t overload electrical sockets Christmas Trees 1. Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2 inches off the base of the tree 2. Make sure the tree is three feet away from all heat sources like a radiators, heating ducts or fireplaces 3. Add water to the tree every morning and every night 4. Throw away the tree once it begins to drop needles, this indicates that it is dried out and is a real fire hazard 5. Never use lit candles to decorate a tree Cooking 1. Keep kitchen towels and clothing away from the stove 2. Keep your children away from the cooking area 3. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of cooking fires Finally, check your smoke alarms to make sure they are in working order! HAVE A HAPPY AND SAFE HOLIDAY SEASON!! Once started, a fire can rage out of control in minutes. Many people don’t realize how quickly a fire can spread. But a small fire can become a large one in the time it takes you to read this sentence. Here are eight common fire hazards, provided by Alan Price, to keep in mind.

8 Common Fire Hazards

1. Walk away from something cooking in the kitchen: The kitchen is often the most fire-prone room in the house. Unattended toasters & hotplates, dishes that are not microwave proof, cookbooks near naked gas flames are common causes of fires.

2. Let your electrical cords get worn out: Frayed or chewed electrical cords start many house fires. Exposed electrical wires will light your floor or rug on fire in no time. Pets often chew on electrical cords as well, causing serious fire hazards.

3. Overload your power strips: Overloaded power strips can also cause fire. When overloaded, they can spark. If they’re anywhere near anything flammable and in most homes they are – a fire is very likely.

4. Buy a malfunctioning electrical appliance: Malfunctioning electrical appliances are a big source of fire. Most of us own more than a few electrical gadgets, all of which can malfunction at any time. Sparks from faulty toasters, coffee makers, televisions, computer monitors, or any electrical appliance you could name can cause serious fires.

5. Put something flammable near something hot: Getting anything flammable near a source of heat is a quick way to start a fire. Some dangerous examples include lamp shades that rest too close to the bulb, clothes or curtains too close to a radiator, or any flammable material close to a space heater.

6. Leave a candle unattended- just for a minute: Candles cause hundreds of fires every year. Even with a safe holder, candles should never be left unattended. It only takes a minute for a pet or child to knock a candle over – or just nudge it too close to flammable material

7. Use a fireplace or wood stove incorrectly: Fireplace and wood stoves can be fire hazards when not properly used. Make sure your chimney is clear and clean before burning anything. Never throw away ashes that aren’t 100% cool- even the tiniest smoldering coal could easily start a fire in your trash bin.

8. Leave burning cigarettes unattended: Cigarettes are a huge fire hazard. Smoking in bed, leaving a pipe or cigarette unattended, and emptying ashtray contents before they are cold cause hundreds of fires each year.

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission is charged with protecting the public from unreasonable risks of injury or death from thousands of types of consumer products under the agency’s jurisdiction. Below is a list of some of the recent consumer recalls posted by the CPSC. To view the full list of consumer recalls, visit the CPSC webpage at 1. HP Expands Recall of Notebook Computer Batteries Due to Fire Hazard: Comsumers urged to recheck notebook models and batteries:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Hewlett-Packard Company, of Palo Alto, Calif., is voluntarily recalling about 162,600 additional Lithium-ion batteries used in HP and Compaq notebook computers (54,000 and 70,000 batteries were previously recalled in May 2010 and May 2009, respectively). The recalled lithium-ion batteries can overheat and rupture, posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.
2. Target Recalls Children’s Task Lamps Due to Laceration and Fire Hazards:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Target Corporation, of Minneapolis, Minn., is voluntarily recalling approximately 13,000 Circo Children’s Task Lamps. Lamps may overheat, causing the adhesive inside the lamp socket to melt and migrate into the bulb area of the socket. The cooled glue can adhere to the light bulb base and make the bulb difficult to remove which can result in a broken light bulb, posing a risk of laceration to consumers. Melted flammable glue that migrates onto the electrical components of the lamp poses a risk of fire.
3. Walmart Recalls GE Food Processors Due to Laceration and Fire Hazard:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Walmart Stores Inc., of Bentonville, Ark., is voluntarily recalling about 255,000 General Electric® food processors. The safety interlock system on the recalled food processor can fail; allowing operation without the lid secured which poses a laceration hazard. In addition, the product can emit smoke, or catch fire, posing a fire hazard.
4. General Electric, Sharp Recalls GE Air Conditioning and Heating Units Due to Fire Hazard:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, GE Appliances and Lighting, of Louisville, Ky., is voluntarily recalling about 90,600 GE Zoneline air conditioners and heaters. An electrical component in the heating system can fail, posing a fire hazard to consumers.
5. Honeywell Recalls Electric Baseboard and Fan Heater Thermostats Due to Burn Hazard:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Honeywell International Inc., of Morris Township, N.J., is voluntarily recalling about 77,000 electric baseboard and fan heater thermostats. The thermostats can overheat, causing them to melt and smoke. This poses a burn hazard to the consumer.
6. Hamilton Beach Recalls Toasters Due to Fire Hazard:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Hamilton Beach Brands Inc., of Glen Allen, Va., is voluntarily recalling about 300,000 Hamilton Beach® classic chrome 2-slice toasters. The heating element in these toasters can remain energized indefinitely when an item is placed in the toaster which may ignite the contents, posing a fire hazard if the toaster is near flammable items.
7. Janome America Inc. Recalls Elna Sewing Machines Due to Fire Hazard:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Janome America Inc. of Mahwah, N.J., is voluntarily recalling about 600 sewing machines. The wires inside the sewing machine can short circuit, posing a risk of fire.
8. Telstar Recalls Energy-Saving Light Bulbs Due to Fire Hazard:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, Telstar Products d/b/a Sprint International Inc., of Brooklyn, N.Y., is voluntarily recalling about 317,000 light bulbs. The light bulbs can overheat, posing a fire hazard to consumers.

 9. STIHL Recalls Yard Power Products Due to Burn and Fire Hazards:

In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, STIHL Inc., of Virginia Beach, Va., is voluntarily recalling about 2.3 million Gas powered STIHL trimmers, brushcutters, KombiMotors, hedge trimmers, edgers, clearing saws, pole pruners, and backpack blowers that utilize a toolless fuel cap. The level of ethanol and other fuel additives can distort the tool-less fuel cap, allowing fuel to spill, posing a fire and burn hazard.
10. UJ Trading Recalls Knight Hawk Toy Helicopters Due to Fire Hazard:
In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, UJ Trading, of Houston, Texas, is voluntarily recalling about 18,500 Danbar Knight Hawk Toy Helicopters. The battery housing under the helicopter canopy can overheat while charging, posing a fire hazard.