To help you stay safe during this Holiday Season, we are offering a few simple phrases to help you avoid common holiday fire hazards.
1. Inspect lighting for worn insulation or loose light bulbs
2. Turn the lights off before leaving the house or going to bed
3. Don’t overload electrical sockets
1. Before placing the tree in the stand, cut 2 inches off the base of the tree
2. Make sure the tree is three feet away from all heat sources like a radiators, heating ducts or fireplaces
3. Add water to the tree every morning and every night
4. Throw away the tree once it begins to drop needles, this indicates that it is dried out and is a real fire hazard
5. Never use lit candles to decorate a tree
1. Keep kitchen towels and clothing away from the stove
2. Keep your children away from the cooking area
3. Unattended cooking is the number one cause of cooking fires
Finally, check your smoke alarms to make sure they are in working order!